Toyota has launched the new model RAV4 plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) through dealerships in Japan on Monday.
In Thailand many are hoping that Toyota would also offer the RAV-4 which would fit in between the C-HR and the Fortuner and expand Toyota’s SUV line-up in the Kingdom.
After its debut in 1994, the RAV4 was initially offered in the Thai market, but suffered from high import duty and was replaced by a more profitable PPV (Pickup Passenger Vehicle) model.
According to Toyota, the fifth-generation RAV4 was released in April 2019, and it has been popular with many customers, thanks to highlights such as three types of 4WD system, including Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD; design which fuses refinement with SUV-like power; spacious luggage storage; and an interior designed for convenience, making it suited to diverse situations.
The new RAV4 PHEV, priced from 4,690,000-5,390,000 Yen in Japan, aims to boost the fun-to-drive appeal of the RAV4 with a newly-developed Toyota Hybrid System (THS II). The front motor and inverter achieve more powerful output than the RAV4 hybrid system, and the combination with the new model, high-capacity, high-output lithium-ion battery achieves maximum system output of 306ps. It also achieves a class-leading BEV driving range of 95 kilometers.
- Through installation of the newly developed THS II Plug-in system, Toyota strives for even greater driving pleasure. The new RAV4 achieves maximum system output of 306 PS, with 0 – 100 kph acceleration in 6.0 seconds.
- It adopts the TGNA platform (GA-K) and is equipped with a high capacity lithium-ion battery installed under the floor in the center of the vehicle. Efforts were made to realize a low center of gravity and optimal weight balance.
- Thanks to the E-Four electric 4WD system, the power produced by the newly developed plug-in hybrid system is fully distributed between all four wheels. Toyota says that in addition to achieving superior driving stability, a greater sense of stability when cornering, or driving on slippery surfaces, is enhanced.
- It also realizes a BEV driving range of 95 kilometers on a fully charged battery, and a hybrid fuel economy of 22 km/L. The RAV4 gasoline tank has a capacity of 55 L and Toyota boasts a cruising range of at least 1,300 kilometers.
- HEV driving mode, using the engine, leverages battery power to control engine revs, thereby reducing engine noise during acceleration.
- In addition to optimal placement of sound insulation materials, the extent of dash panels and floor sound insulation has been expanded. Gaps at the joints have been carefully filled to prevent sound from penetrating the vehicle. Wind noise is also reduced through the use of a powerful soundproofing glass.
- Adequate temperature of the lithium-ion battery is maintained using an air conditioning coolant. Reliable battery performance is enhanced by avoiding use under high temperature that accelerates deterioration and by appropriately controlling the battery charge.
- The air conditioner employs a heat pump system that uses the heat from external air to raise the temperature of engine coolant water to heat the vehicle interior. When the air conditioner is on, it controls power consumption and reduction of the BEV driving range.
Main specifications of THS II Plug-in with reduction gear
|Rear motor (E-Four)||Model||4NM|
|System maximum output*1||(kW[PS])||225|
|Traction battery||Type||Lithium-ion battery|
|Total electric power||(kWh)||18.1|