Mercedes-AMG has unveiled its latest SL, which is now available with a soft top and a bunch of innovative features.
The German luxury carmaker said unlike high-powered sports cars, the new all-wheel-drive SL is suitable for everyday use, thanks to active ride height control suspension with anti-roll stabilization and rear-axle steering.
“The SL is an icon: For almost 70 years, the distinctive sports car has delighted Mercedes customers of every generation around the world. With the rebirth of the roadster from Mercedes-AMG, the new SL more than ever remains the symbol of this timeless fascination,” Britta Seeger, Member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and Mercedes-Benz AG, responsible for Mercedes-Benz Cars Marketing and Sales, said.
The new model has been totally redesigned from the ground up, featuring a long wheelbase, short overhangs and long bonnet. The passenger compartment has been set back with a strongly raked windscreen, which reflects typical SL proportions.
The front end features a large AMG front grille that has been inspired by the 300 SL of 1952. There are digital LED headlights up front and slim LED indicator lights at the rear.
The cockpit boasts a full-digital instrument cluster, integrated into a 3D visor, with a choice of several display styles and driving modes such as AMG Performance or AMG Track Pace.
The all-new bodyshell boasts high torsional rigidity (up 18 per cent compared to the previous model), while the chassis is made from lightweight composite aluminium and consists of an aluminium space frame. Meanwhile, the drag coefficient is claimed at 0.31.
The three-layer soft top helps save 21kgs compared to the previous metal roof, and takes 15 seconds to open or close.
The 4.0-liter V8 biturbo engine is capable of pumping out 585hp and a whopping 800Nm (from 2,500-4,500rpm) in the SL 63 4MATIC+ or 476hp and 7900Nm in the SL 55 4MATIC+. It is mated to a 9-speed AMG Speedshift MCT (Multi Clutch Transmission) which can propel the car from 0-100km/h in 3.6 seconds (3.9 sec) and to a top speed of 315km/h (295km/h).
The new SL is also available with all-wheel-drive as standard with variable torque distribution as well as multi-link front and rear suspension.
Interesting facts & figures
- The new dimensional concept with 2+2 seats enables muscular proportions and improves everyday practicality.
- The new SL was created on an all-new roadster architecture with a composite aluminium structure. No part of the body shell was adopted from the predecessor or any other model series.
- For the first time in 70 years, the SL is available with all-wheel drive: AMG Performance 4MATIC+ distributes the drive force fully variably to the front and rear wheels.
- The AMG ACTIVE RIDE CONTROL active anti-roll stabilization works without anti-roll bars and brings benefits in terms of driving dynamics and comfort.
- Rear-axle steering combines agility and stability and is also on board for the first time in an SL.
- Two AMG V8 engines at launch. Further engine versions will follow, including as powerful E PERFORMANCE hybrid.
- The electro-hydraulic soft top opens or closes fully automatically in around 15 seconds, and both are possible up to 60 km/h.
- The multimedia touchscreen can be electrically adjusted in inclination from 12 to 32 degrees.
- “Hey Mercedes”, the intelligent voice assistant, understands up to 28 languages.
- At the market launch, the new SL is available in twelve paint finishes, including five metallic paint finishes, and six MANUFAKTUR colours as well as three different soft top colours.
- Digitalisation – eight screen designs can be displayed in the head unit.